James Foley Rosary for Peace – October 18, 2015
Marquette University, St. Joan of Arc Chapel
Rain Site: Chapel of the Holy Family, AMU 2nd Floor
Please join with Catholic universities across the U.S. as we pray the James Foley Rosary for Peace, in memory of the courageous and compassionate journalist, James Foley, who was captured in 2012 and violently killed by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levantin in Syria on August 19, 2014. James’ life remains a powerful testament to peace, faith in God, and “laying down one’s life for one’s friends” (John 15:13). His love for the people of Syria and deep desire to share their story, even to the point of his death, calls all Catholics and other people of faith to commit our lives to the work of peace and justice, both locally and globally.
In a 2011 letter to his alma mater, Marquette University, James recalled his first captivity in Libya, poignantly sharing how praying the rosary* alone and with others sustained his spirit:
I began to pray the rosary. It was what my mother and grandmother would have prayed. I said 10 Hail Marys between each Our Father. It took a long time, almost an hour to count 100 Hail Marys off on my knuckles. And it helped to keep my mind focused…. If nothing else, prayer was the glue that enabled my freedom, an inner freedom first and later the miracle of being released during a war in which the regime had no real incentive to free us. It didn’t make sense, but faith did.
All participants are invited to pray the rosary on October 18, 2015 from 1:30-3:30 p.m. (or at another time on that day). Those of non-Christian faiths are also warmly welcomed to pray for peace, as is appropriate to their own faith traditions.
As James’ undergraduate alma mater, Marquette University is privileged to work with Linda Rondinelli in providing resources for praying the James Foley Rosary for Peace and hosting an online list of schools that participate.
Pope Francis has a special devotion to Mary Undoer (or Untier) of Knots, who helps people break free of what binds them and draw closer to God.
Please register your school, parish, or organization by emailing the:
- school/parish/organization name
- contact person
- phone number
to email@example.com. We will post your group’s name on the website.
Schools, Parishes and Organizations Participating in the James Foley Rosary for Peace
- Marquette University (Milwaukee, WI)
- Assumption College for Sisters (Denville, NJ)
- Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist (Milwaukee, WI)
- Church of the Immaculate Conception (Spotswood, NJ)
- College of Mount Saint Vincent (Bronx, NY)
- College of St. Benedict (St. Joseph, MN)
- Creighton University (Omaha, NE)
- Fordham University (Bronx, NY)
- Gonzaga University (Spokane, WA)
- Madeleine Parish and School (Portland, OR)
- Mount Mercy University (Cedar Rapids, IA)
- Rockhurst University (Kansas City, MO)
- Saint John’s Parish (Omaha, NE)
- Saint Joseph’s University (Philadelphia, PA)
- Saint Katharine Drexel School (Beaver Dam, WI)
- University of Scranton (Scranton, PA)
Resources for praying the James Foley Rosary for Peace:
- Remembering James Foley
- James Foley Rosary for Peace Prayer Guide for Groups
- How to Pray the Rosary
- Prayers Used in the Rosary
- Interfaith Prayers for Peace
- Praying the Rosary with Pope Francis, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, Washington DC, January 2015 print edition (also available in print and electronic editions through online booksellers) – recommended text for the James Foley Rosary for Peace
- Promotio Iustitiae: The Promotion of Justice in the Universities of the Society
- Support Catholic Relief Services as part of the James Foley Rosary for Peace
- Support the Jesuit Refugee Service as part of the James Foley Rosary for Peace
- Support the James W. Foley Legacy Foundation as part of the James Foley Rosary for Peace